Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57 - Initial Thoughts on Prom

When I first thought of prom as a young child I always dreamed it was this grand celebration where I would finally be an adult women. It was the night where i could do anything and I would be the Cinderella of the night. I would have my boyfriend (my date) pick me up in a limo, take photos in my pretty expensive dress, and party till the sun comes up. Everything would be perfect. I use to watch movies, and TV shows that would make me want to be grown already so I can finally experience this magical night. Going into high school this was a major topic in my head. I would discuss with my friends on what we would like to wear, who we wanted to ask us to prom, and any other fantasies we had because of these movies. Thinking of prom now i still have the same excitement to go and experience the big night.

With the discussions we had in class I never noticed how odd a prom could be to an outsider. Spending the minimum of $300 for just memories can seem highly dumb when you can use that money and buy something that you could personally use. Although they do say your memories of prom will last a lifetime. I immediately thought why do people never forget there prom night? Then I read in a article that prom night is considered a 'rite of passage', were you will leave the adolescent/high school life and enter the adult world were you formally gather with your friends and celebrate until midnight.

Personally even though it does seem ridiculous to spend over hundreds of dollars for a single night, I still can’t make the decision of not going. I feel I have to go, and I really want to go.

Do other countries have prom, if so how is it different from New York?

Why is prom a rite of passage?

Who invented the word prom and why did they choose to use the word prom to mean a prom?

Why does prom make you an adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment